...When you spend your dollar at a big chain store, only $.13 stays in the local economy. When you spend your dollar at a local, independent business, $.45 stays in the local economy...Occupy Tampa held mic-check disruptions inside Walmart and Target stores and outside a Best Buy store. Now this is an issue I can get behind. Think local first and buy local when you can. Why?
- When you buy from an independent, locally owned business, rather than nationally owned chains, more of your dollars percolate through local businesses, thus strengthening your community's economy.
- Supporting local businesses helps preserve the unique character of your community.
- The closer you shop to home, the less time, money, and energy you spend driving. You then contribute less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss, and pollution. (Or better yet, ride your bike and shop within bicycle distance)
- Small local businesses create two out of every three new jobs.
- There are additional reasons to buy and eat local food: keeps us in touch with our food seasons, protects us from bioterrorism, gives us more variety, tastier food, and fresher food